[syslog-ng]Pix problem

Bill Nash billn at bacchus.billn.net
Fri Dec 30 18:56:55 CET 2005

Inside a syslog packet, facility and severity get munged together for
transport, and separated at reception time. They get broken out like this:

(these are from /usr/include/sys/syslog.h, for reference)

Severity:
#define LOG_EMERG       0       /* system is unusable */
#define LOG_ALERT       1       /* action must be taken immediately */
#define LOG_CRIT        2       /* critical conditions */
#define LOG_ERR         3       /* error conditions */
#define LOG_WARNING     4       /* warning conditions */
#define LOG_NOTICE      5       /* normal but significant condition */
#define LOG_INFO        6       /* informational */
#define LOG_DEBUG       7       /* debug-level messages */

Facility:
#define LOG_KERN        (0<<3)  /* kernel messages */
#define LOG_USER        (1<<3)  /* random user-level messages */
#define LOG_MAIL        (2<<3)  /* mail system */
#define LOG_DAEMON      (3<<3)  /* system daemons */
#define LOG_AUTH        (4<<3)  /* security/authorization messages */
#define LOG_SYSLOG      (5<<3)  /* messages generated internally by syslogd */
#define LOG_LPR         (6<<3)  /* line printer subsystem */
#define LOG_NEWS        (7<<3)  /* network news subsystem */
#define LOG_UUCP        (8<<3)  /* UUCP subsystem */
#define LOG_CRON        (9<<3)  /* clock daemon */
#define LOG_AUTHPRIV    (10<<3) /* security/authorization messages
#define LOG_FTP         (11<<3) /* ftp daemon */
   /* other codes through 15 reserved for system use */
#define LOG_LOCAL0      (16<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL1      (17<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL2      (18<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL3      (19<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL4      (20<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL5      (21<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL6      (22<<3) /* reserved for local use */
#define LOG_LOCAL7      (23<<3) /* reserved for local use */

These are the basis for translating the numeric syslog levels to human
readable terms.

Since your guy set to facility 16, you should be referencing 'local0'.
Alex notes this in his email, but doesn't enumerate it as explicitly.

- billn