[syslog-ng]Pix problem

SOLIS, ALEX asolis at oppd.com
Wed Dec 28 14:54:52 CET 2005

If you don't have too many assets to log from, I found that filtering by facility proved an effective logging method.

  1.	Setup your pix to send all its logs via a certain facility.  For	example local0.  The pix command will look something like
	"logging facility 16". (note:  Facilities have a corresponding ID in 	PIX IOS.  Local0 starts at 16 and increments all the way to local7 	which is 23.)

  2.	Setup the PIX to send its logs via UDP to the loghost server. Assuming
	Your loghost is on the inside of your PIX the command will look 	something like this: "logging host inside x.x.x.x".  Be careful if you 	plan to use TCP for logging as the PIX will not allow communication  	between its interfaces if your syslog server fails!

  3.	Now modify the syslog-ng.conf file on you loghost with the appropriate 	destination, filter, and log statements.  For example, to capture the 	PIX logs and send them to a private file we would have:

	destination pix { file("/var/log/pix"); };
	filter f_pix { facility(local0); };
	log { source(src); filter(f_pix); destination(pix); };

restart syslog-ng and you should be in business.  If you don't see enough information (or too much) play with the PIX's logging levels.  There are 7 of them with 7 being the most verbose.

Hope that helps.

Alex