[syslog-ng] DNS

Kumaran Babu kumardesk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:04:25 CET 2005

Hi,

I've planned to setup a Central Logging system using the great Syslog-NG
with MySQL. All is fine but just need a couple of clarifications to optimize
performance.

Basically, I look at logging close to 40 Network devices which can
potentially log as much 10Gigs or more of data. I want to use the DNS
hostnames to be displayed when viewed in php-syslog-ng interface so I
enabled DNS on syslog-ng conf file. I've changed the nsswitch.conf to look
at hosts file and then dns server so that I can populate the individual
device details into the hosts file so this server doesnt have to query the
DNS server for the host details everytime it receives a log entry.

Am I doing the right thing or is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Also, planning to archive all of the logs onto files and not to simple files
so that I can rotate the old logs DB every month. Again, am I doing the
right thing or is there an alternate way to do this?

Any suggestions and recommendations are gratefully accepted.
--
Kumaran

Find your IP @ www.itsyourip.com