[syslog-ng] Syslog running slow

Roberto Nibali ratz at drugphish.ch
Mon Aug 1 23:30:55 CEST 2005

Hello,

You might get more professional and accurate replies if you posted this
problem to the postgres mailinglist. You don't seem to have a problem
with the syslog-ng daemon.

> I'm using Syslong-ng with Postgre SQL Database.
> I have a problem of queries running realy slow since the Database
> reached about 5 million records.

That's not really a lot, how do the tables look like and what's your
query? If the query is composed of lots of joins or other algebraic
operations that have non-linear runtime, you might have hit the point
where it's getting expensive. But for that I'd need to see your DB
design (ERM if you like) and the query.

> Cleaning the DB and vacumdb didn't work and also other programs running
> on the same computer are running fine.

What is the time spent on? I/O, CPU, Memory pressure? Can you profile it
a bit?

> Does anyone have an idea ?

Not with that information, I don't.

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc