[syslog-ng]incoming message stats (fwd)

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:03:25 -0700

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:28:42PM -0400, Shane Presley wrote:
> On 4/7/05, Nate Campi <nate@campin.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:04:40PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> > > mmmmmm! much nicer. For some reason I was thinking of taking the output of
> > > my modifications and putting them in Excel or something. throwing them in
> > > an RRD will be a lot better.
> >
> > Here it is:
> >
> >  https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2004-November/006714.html
>
> Has anyone made this work?  I use MRTG and have a C compiler, but I'm
> still confused as to how to compile this, and where it stores the logs
> for MRTG or RRD?

The C code simply does the work of keeping tabs on the message count and
sending a syslog message with the stats every 60 seconds. It's up to you
to somehow get that information out of the logs and update an RRD, and
then graph that information.

All you'd need to get started is here:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/tut/rrdtutorial.en.html

Maybe somebody will send out a detailed HOWTO with scripts (Jay?) but
for now you're on your own.
--
Nate

"I know your little 4th grade teacher said there are not stupid
questions. She was wrong. This is Usenet." - Unknown