[syslog-ng]millisecond timestamps

Roberto Nibali syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:11:32 +0200

Hello,

> Is it possible to have syslog-ng support millisecond timestamps?

Possible yes ... in theory.

> And if it's possible, which version of syslog-ng supports it?

None to my avail. The problem is not that someone didn't sit down and
implement it, the problem lies in the missing specification, aka an RFC
which would define how exactly support for millisecond granularity has
to be done.

If you're interested in the work of the people dealing with syslog
enhancements, you might consider visiting the IETF Syslog Working Group:

    http://www.employees.org/~lonvick/index.shtml

Two documents I recommend skimming through:

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-11.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-15.txt

The first one gives an idea how millisecond granularity can be
implemented, the second one adds ideas about: "origin authentication,
message integrity, replay-resistance, message sequencing, and detection
of missing messages to the transmitted syslog messages."

HTH and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc