[syslog-ng]what chars are really supported by syslog?

Jason Haar syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:54:24 +1200

[More of a general syslog question than syslog-ng but...]

I am using syslog to record certain information that can include 8bit
chars. I appear to have no problems with syslog-ng - it all just works.
However, I am concerned that some "other" syslog daemons might do gross
things if weird chars were pushed into them. So I want my syslog calls
to "clean" the data down to (near) the lowest common denominator
(without being really stupid - like "only allow 7bit ASCII")

Are their any ranges of chars I should strip out - beside the obvious
NULLs and CR/LF?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417