[syslog-ng]setting (or changin) facility / level feature request

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:15:23 +0200

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 22:42, Dave Johnson wrote:
> Syslog-ng is working relatively well; however one performance item:
>
> We have a named pipe configured for non syslog messages and want to
> add another named pipe from a separate message source (again
> non-syslog based).
>
> Messages are aggregated and sent centrally.
>
> Centrally messages are broken out /$DATE/$HOST/$FACILITY.
>
> ----
>
> Initially messages were just "routing" based on the above information
> (date/host/facility), creating a nice-straight-forward higher
> performance configuration.
>
> Now the central server and many of our client machines have to do
> "extra" items (stamp messages, filter based on certain text), etc...
>
> We are talking about 15-20 gigabytes a day of logs (today), and much
> more tomorrow.  Going through an external program or msg filtering
> adds a decent amount of CPU on all our machines, especially centrally.
>
> It would be very helpful to have a "set _ facility/level" or
> (change_facility, change_level) in the destination() or src () or
> log() section of syslog-ng.  This would allow our client machines to
> be able to src from several files and put data in local0-7.

I've planned these kind of manipulation features for a long time now,
however one thing is sure, not in syslog-ng 1.6.x, but rather in the new
2.0 codebase. However it is not stable enough yet, and I currently have
other things to do (unless of course I get enough inspiration :)