[syslog-ng]PIX 2 MySQL

Cary, Kim syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:07:43 -0700

I just got logging going with syslog-ng in the last couple weeks (first
client is our PIX 520). We can have up to 20Gb/day from our PIX. When
compressed, the logs are up to 2Gb/day. We do want a record of all
sessions for forensics & troubleshooting (already saved us hours of
time) but the log format is quite verbose. Because of that verbosity, I
was thinking of writing just key fields to a MySQL database as you
suggest. However, I don't want to get into a situation where the only
reporting is whatever report script I have time to write... If Joseph
or someone else has a suggestion for fields to insert into the db and a
reporting package to use, I'd appreciate it.

Kim Cary
InfraSec Admin
Pepperdine University