[syslog-ng]STATS: dropped 74625 and very high Load

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:29:31 +0200

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:50, Stefan Schluppeck wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have running a central syslog-ng under SLES9 (SuSE Linux Enterprice
> Server).
>
> ca. 90 Servers and 150 Network copunents are logging to this server
>
> I have some times "STATS: dropped 74625" and i have high load round
> about 11.
>
> What can i do, that no loglines are lost and the load is not so high?
>
> My global config:
> options         {
> ~                long_hostnames(off);
> ~                sync(1024);
> ~                log_fifo_size(300000);
> ~                gc_busy_threshold(1000);
> ~                gc_idle_threshold(30000);

Are you sure it is syslog-ng which generates the load? (because by
definition syslog-ng on its own can generate at most a load of 1)

The STATS counter is incremented every time syslog-ng would have
something to write but the receiving side does not accept messages.
Probably you have a program/pipe/tcp destination not accepting messages
in a timely manner.

Other tuning possibilities (though it affects receiving, not sending) is
to to disable DNS resolution and/or increase the UDP receive buffers.