[syslog-ng]forwarding a syslog packet

Mark McCurdy syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:19:57 -0500

I have three syslog machines.  One sits in the DMZ and sends only.  One
sits on the LAN, receives traffic only and is our centralized syslog
host.  The 3rd sits between the above two, and it's duty is to resend
incoming DMZ syslog traffic to the LAN server.
My problem is that all packets being sent from the DMZ are being shown
on the LAN server as being from the middle box.  When I inspect the
packet on the LAN machine, I see the original machine's hostname is
mentioned in the packet, but that hostname is ultimately ignored.

My old firewall proxy solution just udp tunneled the dmz syslog;
therefore, no resending happened.

Help and thanks,
Mark