[syslog-ng]syslog-ng loses messages

Aaron watkins syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:51:51 +0100

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:45:50 +0100, Watkins, Aaron
<aaron.watkins@newsint.co.uk> wrote:

> Dave Johnson syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
> Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:43:24 -0500

> --------
>
> The two questions are:
> 1) where in the process do messages 0,1 get lost
> 2) where in the process do messages x get lost when high load

This is exactly the question. Did you manage to set up the test case
on your system. If so, what sort of results did you get?

> In theory, since using TCP this shouldn't be the problem... ?

I am assured that we have a highly reliable network, and as you
mentioned, with TCP it shouldn't be an issue. The fact that it is
consistently two messages that get dropped implies that it is unlikely
to be a network problem. However, maybe it is dropped at the kernel
level?

> *--------------------------*
> * Can we try using "logger" as opposed to "event_pipe" in the while
> loop?
> * Can we `snoop -p -o /tmp/outout port 1515` on server2 and see if the
> packets get sent?
> * If that doesn't work, can we try without the templates?
> * Where are the messages lost?  system1 local files? system2 local
> files?  system2 pipe output?
> * Solarisms?  nscd running?  kernel-revs?
>
> ----

It is worth noting that the system1 local copy of the events includes
these lost events; it is somewhere in between sys1 and sys2 that it
goes. Unfortunately, we have one of those corporate setups where I
don't have the privileges to be able to run most of the other options,
maybe someone else will have some ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron