[syslog-ng]how to pull M$ eventlogger events to syslog-ng server ?

Phani Achanta syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:46:56 -0700

Hi all,

        I have been looking for a non-commercial tool/utility that can
acts like a bridge between Windows NT event logger and syslog-ng
deamon. i.e is there a way to make all the windows servers to log the
events to a unix/linux syslog server
deamon.

        I have googled enough but disappointed to find that there are
only some commercial s/w which have to be installed on the windowz
boxes which will log
them to unix servers but all of these are commercial products. Am i
missing anything from the open source world.

        I want to ask you all if there is any freeware tool that can
do this with out having to do much changes to the windows machine (i.e
installing lot of
other s/w )

        I dont want to reinvent the wheel,so please let me know if you
are aware of any tool that does this.

if there is nothing else, i am planning to do this

1)use win32::EventLog from CPAN and write a perl deamon that watches
for new events and

2) pushes them to a mysql DB on *nix server / converted into the
syslog-ng format and logged by the syslog-ng server

I want some input/suggestions on this if there is no freeware
available. I am also looking for collbarators for making this
contribution to the open source
happen ASAP.

  I know windows event logger is not built/designed the way syslog is
designed. but i think this would be a invaluable gift to sys admins
and network admins who are maintaining heterogenous OSs in their
facility

Feel free to correct me if i am missing somethings here.

Thanks in advance for all the future informative replies i will be
getting for this e-mail,

--Venkata Achanta