[syslog-ng]tcp destination unavailable ... what happens ?

Ali EL MOUSSAWI syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:41:04 +0200

Hi all,
Could you please tell me what can happen if the destination tcp driver
is unavailable ?
I made the test with a wrong IP address in destination on my machine
running syslog-ng, my software generates messages every minutes, and
these messages are redirected to the destination tcp driver.
The only think I saw is that in /var/adm/messages logs, the following
message was repeated every 4 minutes or so ...
Oct 11 10:26:39 met-ixb syslog-ng[216]: Error connecting to remote host
AF_INET(192.168.192.168:514), reattempting in 10 seconds

Is there any risk for my machine if the destination tcp driver is no
longer available ? Will there be any buffer over size or something like
that ? Or ressources over load ?
Thanks a lot

Ali