[syslog-ng]FYI: Performance

Bill Nash syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:35:09 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Russell Adams wrote:

> That was going to be my next question! ;]
>
> So what do you use to parse all that data?
>
> I'm using Logmuncher which has proven to be quite flexible and meets
> my needs.

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:21:26PM -0800, Bill Nash wrote:
>>
>> [syslog]$ du
>> 15289740        ./11-29
>>
>> I'm chucking 15 gigs of syslog per day, to the tune of:
>> [11-29]$ cat * | nice wc -l
>> 40784743
>>
>> On top of that, the entirety of it is thrown to the mercy of a perl based
>> log analyzer (single threaded, no less), which in turn filters and logs to
>> a db, at an average rate of 472 lines per second.

I use a custom POE based near real-time analyzer I built myself. Syslog-ng
forks the incoming streams, logging to disk, and then logging (unfiltered)
to tcp target, which is a socket on my analyzer daemon. It breaks up the
incoming packet by facility and severity, runs a set of rules against it,
and performs any number of functions on the backend depending on the rule
matched (logging to mysql, alarms, etc).

It's essentially a perl version of Netcool that uses perl's regexp engine.

- billn