[syslog-ng]Problem with "kill -HUP" on syslog-ng

Andy Kirkpatrick syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:32:28 +1000

Hi,
I get that too, running syslog-ng 1.5.15 on debian woody with kernel =
2.4.18 SMP. I did a quick check of the source some months ago and if I =
recall correctly, the signal handler was quite simple and didn't mask =
any signals so if another one arrives while its handling the first =
signal, the process will terminate. This frequently happened when =
logrotate went to work, rotating logfiles and sending a quick volley of =
signals to syslog-ng.
I was in a rush so rather than patch and build a custom package for our =
systems, I wrote a postrotate script to start syslog-ng if it wasn't =
running already.
Let me know if I was off base with my diagnosis...

Andy Kirkpatrick

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu =
[mailto:syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Stephane OMNES
Sent: Thursday, 6 May 2004 9:17 PM
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: [syslog-ng]Problem with "kill -HUP" on syslog-ng

Hi,
I need some help because I encountered a problem when trying to make =
some automatic logrotate script with syslog-ng.
My "logrotate script" is the following :
/var/log/*.log {
    sharedscripts
    postrotate
        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog-ng.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> =
/dev/null || true
    endscript
}

The syslog-ng daemon never restarts when you type "kill -HUP =
<syslog-ng.pid>"
I tried also "kill -SIGUP ..." same result (the daemon is stopped but =
never restarts...).
Did someone ever encountered this problem ?
Is there any "proper" solution ?

I'm currently workin under RedHat Enterprise v3.0

Thanks in advance to answer my question.
Regards.
St=E9phane OMNES
Security Engineer
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They =
are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system =
manager or the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to =
anyone or make copies.

* email scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content *