[syslog-ng]Re: Most efficient way of "dropping" garbage ?

Rich Armstrong syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 19 May 2004 15:11:47 +0200

> I have created the following, temporarily :-
>
> destination d_null { file("/dev/null"); };
> filter f_null { host("dummy.name.host.net"); };
> log { source(net); filter(f_null); destination(d_null); flags(final); };
>
> This solves the problem with disk usage, but there is still some
> significant CPU load. So, the question is, "Is there a more efficient
> method of ignoring/dropping messages ?"
>
> Should I be using pipe(), instead of file() ?

Ouch. Yes, use pipe() !
file() appears to set the permissions upon opening the file.
Thus /dev/null suddenly became crw-------, instead of crw-rw-rw- !
This doesn't appear painful until every user complains that they are suddenly unable to use perl, man, ...

--
Richard Armstrong