[syslog-ng]TCP Connection Dropouts

Rule, Ted syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 17 May 2004 09:30:13 +0100

We had a Disaster Recovery test recently where I specifically tested
this exact
scenario, as I couldn't be sure that syslog-ng wouldn't block to local
Unix Domain connections.

The routed link between the central syslog-ng host and the local
syslog-ng client
was dropped to see what effect it would have - for both syslog-ng and
all other applications.

The only effect seemed to be that the client machine created an error
message every
time_reopen() seconds detailing how many messages had been lost due to
the broken connection.
To slightly reduce the number of errors caused by error messages, I
specifically
adjusted the client machine's configuration to avoid it sending any
messages generated
by syslog-ng itself up to the remote host.

Ted

*********************
This E-mail message, including any attachments, is intended only for the pe=
rson
or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential informatio=
n.
If you are not the intended recipient, any review, retransmission, disclosu=
re,
copying, modification or other use of this E-mail message or attachments is
strictly forbidden.
If you have received this E-mail message in error, please contact the autho=
r and
delete the message and any attachments from your computer.
You are also advised that the views and opinions expressed in this E-mail
message and any attachments are the author's own, and may not reflect the v=
iews
and opinions of FLEXTECH Television Limited.