[syslog-ng]Issue with syslog-ng and process-names with spaces

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sun, 16 May 2004 22:39:08 -0700

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 05:14:49PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:

> I don't know if this is a bug with syslog-ng-1.6.4 or NTsyslog (which
> generated the syslog record), but we have a problem with records generated
> by some NT applications showing up "corrupted" within syslog-ng.
>
> Namely it thinks the hostname is the process name.

This is what bad_hostname() is for.

 Usage: new global option named bad_hostname(), expects a regular
 expression which should match all bad hostnames:

 options { bad_hostname("^ctld$"); };

Just for the record, there's no way for syslog-ng to know the difference
in advance between a hostname and a fsck'd up process name with a space
in it. You have to tell syslog-ng about it.
--
Nate

If you tell them, they never listen. If they listen, they never
learn. If they learn, they never remember. If they remember, they
never obey.