[syslog-ng]TCP Connection Dropouts

Philip Webster syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 17 May 2004 14:05:51 +1000

Hello,

I'm wondering about the resilience of syslog-ng to TCP connection dropouts.
I've tested what happens when there is no connection available - syslog-ng
buffers the output and continues to write to local files, ie. it doesn't block.

But what happens if the TCP connection fails halfway through?  So, for
example, the three-way handshake has been completed, but there is no response
after the first data packet is sent because the remote host (or router,
switch, ISP ...) has stopped responding.  I can't really test this, so does
anyone know how syslog-ng handles it?

Thanks
Phil