[syslog-ng]Eventog to syslog

Philip Webster syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 10 May 2004 09:30:35 +1000

Tom,

Edwards, Thomas wrote:
> Has anyone ever used the Eventlog to syslog program found here.
>
> https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/Documents/UNIX/evtsys

I'm using this as the preferred choice for receiving logs from Windows boxen.

> I was trying to decipher their input as to how to word the filters and
> am coming up short other than putting a direct match for the host name I
> am using.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't use a filter, but use a destination along the lines of ...

     file("/path/to/logs/$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY"
     template("$FULLDATE $FULLHOST $FACILITY.$PRIORITY $MSG\n")
     owner(root) group(root) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700) create_dirs(yes));

... which means that logs for each host go into a separate directory, and that
they are 'rotated' on a daily basis.  This may not suit your needs, but works
well for me.

Cheers
Phil