[syslog-ng]Faultfinding techniques for logging failure.

Adam syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:41:01 -0500

There is a linux based testing server running syslog-ng and Nagios (redhat
7.3).

There are a few NT servers that are supposed to log their backups to this
server using the syslog-ng WinNT client. Logging to port 5140.

They don't, however data sent via telnet to port 5140 both sent by itself
and by one other machine is logged.

Any ideas for further faultfinding, because I'm now stumped. Will do some
further testing related to potential firewalling but there shouldn't be one
in the way.

Also, how is the priority passed to 3rd party programs. I get lines
formatted as below, from which I can extract a time-stamp, hostname and
message. But no priority. Is priority normally incorporated as a part of the
message?

<13>Mar  5 13:00:44 localhost TEST