[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng timed sync

Hugh Clark syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:35:47 -0700 (MST)

    Is there any way to be able to do a timed sync?  What I want to do is
be able to have syslog-ng buffer about 10 lines, but if nothing is logged
within, say, 10 seconds, syslog-ng will automatically flush the buffer to
disk.  This way, if the logging is bursty, the system doesn't get
strangled by the I/O writes during the heavy times and I don't get caught
waiting long times for more logging to fill the buffer during the quiet
times.  I'm concerned about using sync=0 because during the times when
the logging is heavy, it take a great deal of I/O to write to the logs.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
  -Hugh