[syslog-ng]Issue while logging to messages file

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:17:31 +0100

2004-03-02, k keltezéssel 13:56-kor Paul Jasa ezt írta:
> Good morning!  I am testing syslog-ng to find an alternative to syslog.   So far, so good, the instructions have been great and I got it to work.  However, I have one issue I can't seem to fix nor find literature which addresses it.   I discovered that when the /var/log/messages file gets switched to messages.1 (then messages.2 and so forth), syslog-ng keeps logging to the new file name messages.1 instead of messages as I defined it in the conf file.   I was hoping someone might know why does syslog-ng do this, and how can it be fixed?    Thanks in advance for any info.  Best regards to all,
> Paul

you need to send a SIGUP to the syslog-ng process after rotating the
file. Probably the cron job doing the rotation still tries to SIGHUP
syslogd, thus syslog-ng is not notified about the change.

Either fix the rotating cronjob or write a separate cron job which sends
a SIGHUP to syslog-ng.