[syslog-ng]How to get sure if a remote syslog-ng is down?

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:31:16 -0700

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 02:01:52PM +0200, julius wrote:
> at the moment my remote syslog-ng prints every 10 minutes a message,
> theres a message when the remote syslog-ng disconnected, but what
> happens when the remote host boots up and syslog-ng cant be started?

I don't know what syslog-ng could do, especially if it never started at
all due to a missing library or something. If you're really worried
about this then you can modify your startup procedure to do something
like this to be like syslog (need netcat installed):

syslog-ng || echo "<122>syslog-ng failed to start on $(hostname)" | nc -u -w1 192.168.1.1 514

...or like this to send email:

syslog-ng || echo syslog-ng failed to start | mail -s"alert" pager@site.example

This is all basic stuff.

Myself, I prefer to run a general purpose management framework that
keeps processes running and that can let me know if it can't start
something up. I use cfengine, see www.cfengine.org or even better start
at www.infrastructures.org.
--
Nate

"A computer will do what you tell it to do, but that may be much
different from what you had in mind." - JOSEPH WEIZENBAUM, quoted in
Time