[syslog-ng]Hostname Problem

phusion syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 06:15:17 -0700 (PDT)

I've been having a problem with the $HOST macro. My
setup is as follows: message gets sent from HostA
through HostB and finally to the log server HostC.
HostA is a Windows box running Snare for Windows,
HostB is a FreeBSD box running syslog-ng, and HostC is
a FreeBSD box running syslog-ng. HostA doesn't have a
config file, it's a GUI app, but here are parts of the
syslog-ng config files:

HostB Config
------------
options { keep_hostname(yes); long_hostnames(off);
sync(0); };

HostC Config
------------
options { keep_hostname(yes); long_hostnames(off);
sync(0); };

HostA - moon-a, 10.10.2.2
HostB - moon, 10.10.1.7, 10.10.2.1
HostC - mars, 10.10.1.2

On the log server I have files from HostA go to
$HOST.log. It then puts it as 10.10.1.7.log instead of
moon-a.log. Also, here is a line from the file where
it puts the IP address of HostB and hostname of HostA.

Jul  8 10:57:00 10.10.1.7 moon-a	MSWinEventLog	1
Application	675	Thu Jul 08 10:56:08 2004	0	sshd	SYSTEM
User	Information	MOON-A	None		sshd : PID 1808 : Server
listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.	1

Let me know what you think the problem is?

Phusion