[syslog-ng]syslog-ng and sqlsyslogd

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:23:27 -0700

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 02:22:03PM -0400, John Jason Brzozowski wrote:

> I recently setup syslog-ng to use sqlsyslogd to insert syslog information
> into a MySQL database.  After some testing I found that the some extra
> data is being added to each record only when called by syslog-ng.  Each
> record in the database has <###> where ### is some random number.  Has
> anyone seen this?

Yes, it's not extra, but part of every syslog message. If you want to
get rid of it even a C novice like me can patch it:

I used to cover this on my little syslog loghost howto. I checked out an
old copy and put it at

 http://www.campin.net/newlogcheck-OLD.html#sqlsyslogd

It's a simple manual mod to sqlsyslogd to not record the <PRI> info.
--
Nate

During the million-dollar BIND 9 rewrite, Paul Vixie characterized the
original BIND code as 'sleazeware produced in a drunken fury by a bunch
of U C Berkeley grad students.'
       -- D.J. Bernstein   http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/blurb/unbind.html