[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng, Mysql, and Cisco routers

Dave Edelman syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:19:32 -0500

This may be a problem of somewhat different semantics between Cisco IOS and
syslog-ng configuration speak.

In IOS logging trap debug says send all messages of priority debug (the
lowest possible) and higher to the logging host (10.1.1.91 in this case.)

Syslog-ng syntax says if you say priority debug you mean only that priority.

I suspect that if you enable yourself on a *test* router and turn on some
debugging you will see the messages in the log file. BTW, unless you are
attached directly to the router console port, you will need to issue the IOS
command term monitor in order to see the debug output locally. Be real
careful about debugging a router under a heavy load since it can quickly
turn into a self-eating doughnut and disappear into its own hole :(

--Dave