[syslog-ng]Problem with TCP connection not timing out

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:17:09 +0100

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 10:35 -0300, ARGEXT-HIDALGO, FRANCISCO wrote:
> Thanks for the response, I'll test it now, but the documentation says that
> this is the default behaviour, so I'm not sure if this will change anything.
> On the other hand, shouldn't the OS drop these connections?, some of them
> have days there, and this monday, there where almost 40 dead connections
> that where "ESTABLISHED".

I'm sorry but no, the OS does not reap these connections. Some
application layer timeout could solve the issue, though at the same time
it might also cause other problems like message drops.

Where did you read that it was default?
              <row>
                <entry>tcp-keep-alive()</entry>
                <entry>yes or no</entry>

                <entry>
                  Available for tcp() only, and specifies whether to
                  enable TCP keep alive messages using the SO_KEEPALIVE socket
                  option.
                </entry>

                <entry>no</entry>
              </row>

Nevertheless looking at the source it seems not to be enabled by
default. But if you tell me a reference I'll fix the documentation.