[syslog-ng]Using logger with syslog-ng

Ed Ravin syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:25:24 -0500

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:08:15PM -0800, Vaibhav Goel wrote:

> I am new syslog-ng user.  I am trying to figure out how to get a loghost
> going and taking baby steps with the documentation available :-)
>
> I got syslog-ng configured on a Linux server as such:
>
> source s_test {
>    tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
> };

logger uses the standard Unix syslog library to send its messages.
That library doesn't know how to send messages via TCP.  Also,
you didn't mention what OS you were running, chances are close to 100%
that your OS libraries by default send syslog messages via a local
IPC method like a Unix domain socket.  You'll need to tell syslog-ng
to listen for packets coming in on that method.

It would be nice if we had a version of logger where you could specify
the transport method - it would be good for testing syslog-ng when you're
setting up centralized servers.  Patches anyone?