[syslog-ng]Problems with Netscreen log entries

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:51:23 +0200

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 15:20, Paul Mindeman wrote:
> Running sylog-ng 1.6.4 on Solaris 9
>
> Log entries from my UNIX devices log fine.  Log entries from my
> Netscreen devices seem to be missing the end of line terminator, as the
> entries run together in the log file.  The default syslog daemon was
> able to handle these entries fine.  Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> The options in the syslog-ng.conf file are:
>
> options { sync (0);
>            time_reopen (10);
>            log_fifo_size (1000);
>            long_hostnames (off);
>            use_dns (no);
>            use_fqdn (no);
>            create_dirs (no);
>            keep_hostname (yes);
>          };

Can you give me an tcpdump snippet to see how a netscreen log message is
formatted? Please make sure that you snap the complete packet (-s
option).

tcpdump -xXpeni ethX  port 514 and udp

should do the trick.