[syslog-ng]FAQ-seeding: chroot jail procedure for Syslog-ng

John Kristoff syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:13:18 -0500

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:21:27 -0500 (CDT)
"Michael D. (Mick) Bauer" <darth.elmo@wiremonkeys.org> wrote:

> So far I haven't noticed that anything else needs to be added to the
> chroot jail (e.g., stuff from /dev or /etc), but if anyone knows
> differently please speak up!

Mick,

It's been awhile since I last setup syslog-ng in a chroot jail, but
according to my notes I did the following on a recent Linux box:

  o copied the follow files to /path/to/chroot/lib:

    libnss_dns.so.2
    libnss_files.so.2
    libresolv.so.2
    libnsl.so.2
    libc.so.6
    ld-linux.so.2

    the first of which, being the one that seemed to actually be
    required for correct operation in my case.  I believe the others
    were just referenced libraries, but not actually called.

  o copied the following to /path/to/chroot/etc

    nsswitch.conf
    resolv.conf
    `grep syslogng passwd`
    `grep syslogng group`

    the last two being whatever user/group you used to run syslog-ng as.

John