[syslog-ng]libol license?

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:33:03 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42ED9.31068BB0

Bazsi,

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting that you'd use the GPL instead =
of
the LGPL for libol. GPL for libraries will "infect" any code that links =
it, forcing it to be GPL as well. Any particular motivation for that?

I'm also wondering if there's any documentation (english) for libol - I
don't see any on your site. This site
(http://www.usinglinux.org/devel/libol.html) is the 3rd link on Google =
when
searching for "libol documentation". I'm trying to hunt down how =
signals are
handled for childen of syslog-ng and it's a blurry line where syslog-ng =
ends
and libol begins (this is related to the other thread about sec.pl). =
Any
info you might have would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Tony

--=20
"Computer science is as much about computers as=20
        astronomy is about telescopes" -- Edsger Dijkstra=20
---------------------------------------------------------=20
Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - atonns@mail.ivillage.com=20

 =20

http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html
>=20
>=20
iVillage Inc., 500 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10018 -  iVillage Inc. =
is a
leading women's media company that includes iVillage.com, Women.com,
gURL.com, Astrology.com, Promotions.com, iVillage Parenting Network, =
The
Newborn Channel, Lamaze Publishing, Business Women's Network, Diversity =
Best
Practices, Best Practices in Corporate Communications, and iVillage
Consulting.  The information contained in this communication may be
confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named =
above, and
may be construed under applicable law to be a commercial email.  If you =
have
received this communication in error, please delete this message from =
your
computer system.  If you are the recipient named above and do not wish =
receive any future commercial emails, please reply to the sender with a
message stating such preference.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42ED9.31068BB0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [syslog-ng]libol license?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bazsi,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks for your reply. It's interesting that you'd =
use the GPL instead of the LGPL for libol. GPL for libraries will =
&quot;infect&quot; any code that links to it, forcing it to be GPL as =
well. Any particular motivation for that?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm also wondering if there's any documentation =
(english) for libol - I don't see any on your site. This site (<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.usinglinux.org/devel/libol.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.usinglinux.org/devel/libol.html</A>) is =
the 3rd link on Google when searching for &quot;libol =
documentation&quot;. I'm trying to hunt down how signals are handled =
for childen of syslog-ng and it's a blurry line where syslog-ng ends =
and libol begins (this is related to the other thread about sec.pl). =
Any info you might have would be helpful.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks again,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Tony</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;Computer science is as much about computers as =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; astronomy =
is about telescopes&quot; -- Edsger Dijkstra </FONT>
<BR><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>--------------------------------------------------------- =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - =
atonns@mail.ivillage.com </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Balazs Scheidler [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:bazsi@balabit.hu">mailto:bazsi@balabit.hu</A>] </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 12:21 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]libol license?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; 2004-04-29, cs keltez=E9ssel 20:40-kor =
atonns@mail.ivillage.com </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ezt =EDrta:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; No, it is under the GPL, not LGPL.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I've comitted a COPYING file. The source file =
headers </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; reference the GPL</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; properly.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Bazsi</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 =
802C 0944 9CFD </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; 804E C82C 8EB1</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Frequently asked questions at <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>iVillage Inc., 500 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY =
10018 -&nbsp; iVillage Inc. is a leading women's media company that =
includes iVillage.com, Women.com, gURL.com, Astrology.com, =
Promotions.com, iVillage Parenting Network, The Newborn Channel, Lamaze =
Publishing, Business Women's Network, Diversity Best Practices, Best =
Practices in Corporate Communications, and iVillage Consulting.&nbsp; =
The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is =
intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be =
construed under applicable law to be a commercial email.&nbsp; If you =
have received this communication in error, please delete this message =
from your computer system.&nbsp; If you are the recipient named above =
and do not wish to receive any future commercial emails, please reply =
to the sender with a message stating such preference.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C42ED9.31068BB0--