[syslog-ng]Failed Assertion Error

seth vidal syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
10 Sep 2003 12:29:53 -0400

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 12:27, Dennis Skinner wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 09:02, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>
> > don't you happen to run syslog-ng reading /proc/kmsg and klogd at the same
> > time?
>
> That wouldn't be these, would it?
>
> source s_local {
>         internal();
>         unix-stream("/dev/log");
> };
> source s_kmsg {
>         file("/proc/kmsg");
> };
>
> I see /proc/kmsg, but is klogd the same as using /dev/log?

/proc/kmsg and klogd read the same thing.

An ugly possible event: if you have both of these going on at the same
time, a linux kernel could eventually run out of space writing to kmsg
and be unable to dump the log. It will stall, but not crash, your
system. The only way I found to free it was alt-scrollock from a
console.

Turn one of them off. I suggest turning off klogd and using /proc/kmsg
in stead.

-sv