[syslog-ng]logging woes

Roger syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:16:14 -0500

I'm using syslog-ng v1.9.1+ and am having some trouble getting the
behavior of syslog-ng down.

I took this syslog-ng.conf file from a sun - hense the sun-streams
reference - and put it on a linux system.  With this on the sun, any
syslog message from host a.b.c.d would be put in the directory

/var/log/syslog-ng/hostname/messages

Instead I'm getting all local syslog messages just fine BUT any remote
messages aren't getting through.  I did a lsof -Pni and syslog-ng IS
listening on ports 514 both tcp and udp - I even created the directories
and messages file - chmoded the permissions to 777 - all to have no
messages dumped to their respective directories.

I started syslog-ng up w/ the options '-de' and sniffed the network.
Packets are being sent to the daemon and the debug messages look as so

log_reader_fd_prepare(); window_size='100'

but still no directories creates or information put in files.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

options {
#               use_fqdn        (yes);  #makes log names to long
                 use_dns         (yes);
                 create_dirs     (yes);
                 log_fifo_size   (1000);
         };

source local { unix-stream("/dev/log"); };
#source local { sun-streams("/dev/log" door("/etc/.syslog_door"));
internal(); };
source udp_net { udp(); };
source tcp_net { tcp(); };

destination all { file("/var/log/syslog-ng/messages"
                    owner (root)
                    group (wheel)
                    perm  (0640)
                         ); };

destination network { file("/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/messages"
                    owner (root)
                    group (wheel)
                    dir_group (wheel)
                    perm  (0640)