[syslog-ng]I don't understand chain_hostnames option & why it fixes this problem...

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:09:04 -0700

There was a question in FAQ titled:

 What is with all the "hostname" options?

Is that the one you were referring to?

I copied the explanation below.  It does not explain why
the source alias is part of the hostname and why
these options add or remove them.

Chris

When syslog-ng receives a message it tries to rewrite the hostname it contains
unless keep_hostname is true. If the hostname is to be rewritten
(e.g. keep_hostname is false), it checks whether chain_hostnames (or
long_hostname which is an alias for chain_hostnames) is true. If chain_hostnames
is true, the name of the host syslog-ng received the message from is appended to
the hostname, otherwise it's replaced.

So if you have a message which has hostname "server", and which resolves to
"server2", the following happens:

                      keep_hostname(yes) keep_hostname(no)
chain_hostname(yes)               server    server/server2
chain_hostname(no)                server           server2

I hope this makes things clear.

Chris

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 02:56:38PM +0100, Jim Mozley wrote:

> > My little brainless syslog-ng.conf below NEEDS the one option
> > you see or else the log file will refer to host as
> > "src@myhostname" instead of just "myhostname".
> >
> > Please explain a little better what chain_hostnames
> > does/means and why it fixes this problem.
> >
> > Is there some other simpler way to fix aforementioned
> > problem??
> >

> I think the FAQ may help
>
> http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html
>
> This has an explanation. Sorry if you've already seen this and meant
> something else.
>
> Jim

_______________________________________

Christian Seberino, Ph.D.