[syslog-ng]syslog-ng newbie facility question

Josh Endries syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:29:18 -0500

Hiya everyone,

I'm pretty new to syslog-ng, and I'm currently working on converting our
current "normal" syslog daemons (FreeBSD) ro syslog-ng and setting up a
central loghost. So far so good -- everything is working, even through
stunnel and TCP, which is awesome. I'm going to try and get it into
PostgreSQL next.

Anyway, my question is about logging facilities. I never thought about
this with syslogd; I always assumed I was limited to the normal
facilities, local2 and mail and whatnot. But looking through the
syslog-ng config file it occurred to me that I may be able to create my
own facility filters. For example, create an apache facility and have
Apache log to this. I could then pipe Apache to the log host and have it
consolidate all that stuff into httpd-error files in the new directory
hierarchy.

Thanks! :)

--
Josh