[syslog-ng]failover

Joxn syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 20 May 2003 21:29:51 -0700

Nate Campi wrote:
>>I log messages to a remote server. But what happens if that server is
>>not reachable? Is there a way to implement a failover to second server?
> There's nothing built in to syslog-ng for this, you'd have to build
> something yourself.

Well, when TCP is used to transfer the remote logs, shouldn't it be
rather easy to build some failover code into syslog-ng?

I imagine that some option for tcp in the syslog-ng.conf would be the
way to do it:

destination remote_tcp1 { tcp("loghost1" failover(remote_tcp2)); };
destination remote_tcp2 { tcp("loghost2"); };

And perhaps if remote_tcp2 / loghost2 can't be reached failover to a
local log...

Is any of this planed? Otherwise, I might look into that - although I
don't know if I have the time for this right now.

bye Joxn
--
    || //\\ \\// |\\||  ::  joxn@vernum.com  ::