[syslog-ng]Running syslong-ng from init?

Geoff Wright syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 19 May 2003 12:40:20 +0100

Jonathon Ross (jross@island.com) said : Re: [syslog-ng]Running syslong-ng from init?

> syslog-ng seems to die on me from time to time. (I whish I had more info on
> why to share with you, but there doesn't seem to be anyting in the logs).
>
> I'd like to run syslog-ng out of init, but I can't seem to find a way to
> keep it from fork()-ing.
>
> Could anyone offer some advice?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jon

There was a foreground hack for syslog-ng.  But you can use daemontools to make
sure it keeps running:

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

Because syslog-ng goes into the background you need to use fghack (comes with
daemontools). Otherwise it'll keep starting syslog-ng processes until you're
machine falls over. The /service/syslog-ng/run file would be something like:

#!/bin/sh
exec fghack /usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -f /usr/local/etc/syslog-ng.conf

Works for us anyway.

Cheers,

Geoff