[syslog-ng]about syslog

Harald Nesland syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:50:03 +0100

Hello,

this is possible with syslog-ng. You can configure it to create a
directory for each server, and let it store the log in different
files/category in their own directory.

For example, A logs to S, and syslog-ng at S stores the log to
/var/log/HOSTS/A/logfile locally on S.

I have this configured in my syslog-ng:

destination hosts {
  file("/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$FACILITY/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FACILITY$YEAR$MONTH$DAY"
	owner(root) group(root) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700) create_dirs(yes));
};

log { source(src); destination(hosts); };

There is a mini-howto on http://www.campin.net/newlogcheck.html.

And it's no problem porting from syslogd to syslog-ng :)

cheers

--
Harald Nesland
pryo@sacharis.no