[syslog-ng]Re: syslog-ng

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:12:39 +0100

>You might have noticed that I still had trouble believing that the
>packets are making it to the loghost, despite your 'netstat -a'. Just
>run 'netstat -t' on linux to see the TCP connections and see if you see
>the other box actually connected. Try the telnet test that I mentioned
>in the earlier post. Cover the lower layers of the stack before you
>concentrate on the app layer.

That was exactly my problem, there were no packages going anywhere, neither
locally or remote. However if syslog-ng is runnin smoothly on the linux side
of things, I assume tcp-wrappers has been installed and configured correctly.
If the hosts.allow entry is correct then there's no reason it shouldnt accept
the logs

Anyway, I have now solved the problem. I tried installing 1.6.0rc1 (on solaris)
however it wouldnt accept the fact that libol-0.3.9 really was that version.
So I tried 1.5.26 and it runs smoothly, which 1.5.25 never did.
next thing was on the linux side, I had to downgrade from a _very_ buggy
1.6.0_rc1-r1 syslog-ng gentoo release to (a still unstable) 1.5.26-r1.
Now things seems to be working the way they should...logging locally and
remotely seems to be working.

Syslog-ng = a very touchy, senstive,  but capable logger (once its runnin)

cheers
-AlanCB