[syslog-ng]solaris linux

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:30:16 -0800

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:55:16PM +0100, garvald@bluemail.ch wrote:

> trying to log from solaris 8 to Linux (gentoo). I'm using 1.5.26 on the linux
> side and 1.5.25 on the solaris. I've tried several linux versions ranging
> from 1.4x to current with no luck. Logging from linux -> linux is no problem.
> I've tried googling and newsgroups etc and writing mails but nobody can help.
> If nobody replies to this i'll be switching to another logger ;c] here's
> the configuration I'm using, its very basic and according to an earlier post
> from the "maintainer" it should work:

It seems unlikely that this is a syslog-ng problem. People aren't
responding because it's not clear that you eliminated other factors. You
need to test if TCP traffic can really make it between the ports and
hosts involved. Eliminate the lower levels of the TCP/IP stack before
working on the app layer.

HINT: telnet from the solaris client to the listening syslog-ng port on
the linux host. You might not be able to connect at all. Try UDP too,
test sending UDP traffic with netcat. Try UDP too, test sending UDP
traffic with netcat, once you set up a udp listener on the loghost.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net