[syslog-ng]performance test questions

Roberto Nibali syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:55:25 +0100

> What do you use for fetching local messages? unix-stream or unix-dgram?

unix-stream

> sysklogd uses unix-dgram while syslog-ng is usually used with unix-stream
> sources.

Ahhhh, bingo, that's the culprit! Thanks for the pointer. I should then rerun
the tests with unix-dgram to get a more accurate comparison and to eventually
evade the glibc bug with unix-stream.

Let's see if I can shovel enough spare time next week to run a fresh test conduct.

> Your results are really appreciated. No one has done so extensive
> performance testing on syslog-ng before.

Thanks. I'll see if I can do more indepth testing in direction of using pipes,
tunnels and redirection (actually sending back filtered event messages from a
pipe of a jailed syslog-ng to the originating process [don't ask :)]) to find
out if there are other problems.

>>If I find time I'll run the tests with 3 clients too. But meanwhile I'm all
>>for the inclusion of the gprof'd code since rewriting doesn't look like a
>>feasible option in the current state of development (shortly before stable
>>release).
>
> I'll go with the gperf based code for now.

Cool.

Cheers,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc