[syslog-ng]Strange behaviour with kernel log

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:02:00 -0700

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 02:50:42PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> > I've downloaded latest syslog-ng and installed it on my box (Mandrake 9.0).
> > # logger -p kern.info "test kern.info 1"
> >
> > Then I checked kern.log and saw nothing. The "test kern.info 1" was in
> > user.log !
> >
> > Can someone explain me this strange behaviour ?
>
> logger refuses to log with facility == LOG_KERN

I usually send logs with netcat (UDP or TCP, depending on what's
listening in that particular syslog-ng instance) over the network to
simulate kernel messages. You could even temporarily open up a socket on
127.0.0.1 for this purpose during investigation if you don't already
have a network source.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net