[syslog-ng]Dropped messages and UDP buffer sizes

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:14:07 +0200

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:14:44AM +0100, Clemson, Chris wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 09:39:18AM +0100, Clemson, Chris wrote:
> > Message drops within syslog-ng might happen because one or more of the
> > destinations process messages slower than the sources. If you
> > only have file
> > destinations then increasing log_fifo_size() might help.
>
> it seems, after a bit more fiddling around, that it is a problem when
> logging to mysql (i didn't realise we were still logging to it).
> when we stop logging to mysql, 0 lines are dropped.
> is there anything we can do to buffer logging to mysql?

syslog-ng buffers messages on its own using a memory based fifo. so you
either increase this buffer for your mysql target to make space for possible
bursts, or you write SQL insert statements to a file which is processed
outband by a cron job.