[syslog-ng]Dropped messages and UDP buffer sizes

Clemson, Chris syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:39:18 +0100

Hello!
We are trying to use syslog-ng to log messages from several servers.
We get quite a few "dropped" messages from syslog-ng saying between 70 and
290 are being dropped each time.
According to the list, it sounds like we need to increase out UDP receive
buffer size.

We are running suse 8.2 on a Pentium II 266 and a SCSI HD.
The machine had 64mb in it, and we increased this to 128mb which didn't
help. We get around the same number of "dropped" messages.
We are logging from 5 machines, and getting ~9500 messages a day and we are
making it log to just /var/log/messages at the moment.
The network card is a 3com 3c905b (cyclone).

Watching top for memory and processor usage doesn't indicate that anything
is using a lot of either.

Do we need to increase the UDP receive buffer?
if so, where do we find it? it sounds worryingly like a kernel recompile
job!

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,

chris

--
The content of this e-mail is confidential, may contain privileged material
and is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you receive this

Software AG (UK) Limited
Registered in England & Wales 1310740
Registered Office: Hudson House, Hudson Way,
Pride Park, Derby DE24 8HS