[syslog-ng]File descriptor still opened after log rotation

Xavier de Labouret Xavier.de_Labouret@cvf.fr
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:53:15 +0100

>> I have a strange behaviour with syslog-ng 1.4.16 and rotated files. It
>> looks like syslog-ng keeps file descriptors opened, despite the time_reap
>> parameter, in a file where very few logs are sent. This generates
>> problems with log rotations.
>
> time_reap() is only used when a filename with macros in it is used. e.g.

[Sorry for breaking the thread, i had not subscribed to the list before posting in it]

Thank you for this quick answer, for i had no clue with this problem.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this by design? I did not find this restriction it in the docs. In
this case, it would be of great help to write explicitely in the docs
that time_reap applies only to macro-generated file destinations. I can
get a turnaround for this by using $FACILITY, which won't change during
execution for this destination.

2) Is it planned to stay so? I am inclined to think that this feature
would be helpful for any file destination, to prevent conflicts with
rotations. Do you intend to extend the time_reap feature to any file
destination?

Regards,

Xavier de Labouret