[syslog-ng]postfix requiring syslog?

netsec novice netsec9@hotmail.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:34:13 +0000

I am using SuSE 8.1 to build a cental syslog server and have installed
syslog-ng.  I need to run postfix in order to send alerts.  Now that I have
disabled syslog and enabled/installed syslog-ng, postfix no longer starts on
its own at boot.  When I attempt to start it manually, it responds that
syslog is required to be running to start postfix.. do I want to start
syslog?  If I say yes then postfix starts fine but I don't really want to be
running syslog AND syslog-ng do I?  Linux is new to me so I apologize for my
ignorance.  Is there a simple work-around to tell postfix to use syslog-ng
rather than syslog?  I guess I don't understand where this dependency comes
from.  Any help is appreciated.