[syslog-ng]sending mail

Aaron Jackson Aaron.Jackson@dc.gov
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:50:48 -0500

There are three programs that handle mail on a unix-like system: the=20
MUA, the LDA and the MTA. The Mail User Agent (MUA) formats message in a =

standard format like MIME. From the command line you usually use mailx.=20
The Local Delivery Agent (LDA) stores incooming messages i.e. puts them=20
in /var/spool/mail/ in mbox format or $HOME/Maildir in Maildir format.=20
Mail.local, procmail or maildrop are examples of an LDA. The Mail=20
Transport Agent (MTA) is what accepts or sends mail. Sendmail, postfix=20
and qmail are examples of MTAs. Every unix or unik-like system I have=20
ever used has some version of sendmail installed on it, and most are=20
preconfigured.

I don't do linux, but generally speaking you use the same program to=20
send out mail as you do to receive it. If you don't want to run an MTA,=20
just put the following as a cron job for root:

0 * * * * [ -x /usr/lib/sendmail ] && /usr/lib/sendmail -q

Which will run once an hour and flush any "stuck" messages. The machine=20
will not accept any incomming mail. Of course, this assumes that=20
sendmail is set up correctly i.e. you can send mail from the machine. If =

not, go to www.sendmail.org for more information. The only other thing=20
you need to do is either generate a preformated mail message and pass it =

to the MTA, or use an MUA so you can send any outgoing messages.

Aaron