[syslog-ng]sending mail

Hamilton, Andrew Andrew.Hamilton@afccc.af.mil
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:37:47 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2B723.832B4B34

You don't need a mail server running to SEND mail.  Most, if not all, UNIX
flavors come with some form of mail client, most of which are based upon
some version of sendmail.  However, you will need to send it to a mail
SERVER.  You'll have to check for a mail client, since I don't use SuSE I
can't tell you where one will be, I have used several other flavors of Linux
and they have all had the "mail" client.  You could set up your mail program
inside your syslog-ng.conf the same as you would to any other program by
using the "program" key word in a destination.  The message from syslog-ng
is then passed to the program as an argument I believe.  If you are using
syslog-ng version 1.5.x, you can also use templates to format the message
passed to the program.  Or you can write a small program that parses the
message sent to it from syslog-ng and then use that program to intelligently
send mail.  I think that is the best option since then you can control what
you send and how you send it as opposed to trying to make syslog-ng do it.
If you have a busy syslog-ng host, that could slow it down and you don't
want that.

Regards,

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: netsec novice [mailto:netsec9@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 4:03 PM
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: [syslog-ng]sending mail

I am a linux newbie - sorry.  I already have an SMTP server on my network.
Can I use mail from within syslog-ng to send messages to my account for
alerting purposes without configuring a full blown mail server on my linux
box?  I don't know if there is a default SMTP client on linux (SuSE 8.1) or
how to configure it.

any help is appreciated

  _____

The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for  <http://g.msn.com/8HMEEN/2018> 2
months _______________________________________________ syslog-ng maillist -
syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
questions at http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2B723.832B4B34

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1126" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=939582314-08012003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>You
don't need a mail server running to SEND mail.&nbsp; Most, if not all, UNIX
flavors come with some form of mail client, most of which are based upon some
version of sendmail.&nbsp; However, you will need to send it to a mail
SERVER.&nbsp; You'll have to check for a mail client, since I don't use SuSE I
can't tell you where one will be, I have used several other flavors of Linux and
they have all had the "mail" client.&nbsp; You could set up your mail program
inside your syslog-ng.conf the same as you would to any other program by using
the "program" key word in a destination.&nbsp; The message from syslog-ng is
then passed to the program as an argument I believe.&nbsp; If you are using
syslog-ng version 1.5.x, you can also use templates to format the message passed
to the program.&nbsp; Or you can write a small program that parses the message
sent to it from syslog-ng and then use that program to intelligently send
mail.&nbsp; I think that is the best option since then you can control what you
send and how you send it as opposed to trying to make syslog-ng do it.&nbsp; If
you have a busy syslog-ng host, that could slow it down and you don't want
that.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=939582314-08012003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=939582314-08012003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Regards,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=939582314-08012003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=939582314-08012003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Drew</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> netsec novice
  [mailto:netsec9@hotmail.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, January 07, 2003 4:03
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu<BR><B>Subject:</B>
  [syslog-ng]sending mail<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>I am a linux newbie - sorry.&nbsp; I already have an SMTP server on my
  network.&nbsp; Can I use mail from within syslog-ng to send messages to my
  account for alerting purposes without configuring a full blown mail server on
  my linux box?&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't know if there is a default SMTP client on
  linux (SuSE 8.1) or how to configure it.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>any help is appreciated</DIV>
  <DIV>N</DIV></DIV><BR clear=all>
  <HR>